I LOVE simplicity above all things especially when it comes to food, and feel most happy when I discover epic flavour combos that take minutes to make. I love this because I know that it means that I (and you!) will make it often. When a recipe has serious gut healing and nutritional properties to boot then I get even more excited! This salad looks SO simple… and….. it is…almost embarrassingly so. However EVERYONE I have ever given it too just goes crazy for it, including friends children who generally don’t like this kind of thing – RESULT! Its a table staple for us and my go to raw salad when I don’t have time to think about what to make.
Why “Annie’s”?? Well because a dear friend of mine of that name made it for me about 2 years ago for the first time so I really cant really lay claim to it. I have seen some variations of this Greek style salad but none exactly like this so its really worth including.
A few key points here – and you just have to trust me; firstly spirit vinegar is a MUST. I have tried it with all other kinds of vinegar and its just NOT THE SAME! It just has a particular taste with the spirit vinegar. And you need to use an oil that is light and doesn’t have a strong flavour. I found an almond oil or a light olive oil to work well but I know Annie preferred a cold pressed sunflower oil.
So here it is…. best cabbage salad EVER:
Ingredients – serves 4
- 2 cups finely shredded baby cabbage (baby is better as you get a finer shred and it has a lighter more subtle flavour)
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts – cooled
- 2 tbsp spirit vinegar
- 1 tbsp light olive/sunflower/almond oil
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Mix the vinegar and oil together with a whisk.
- Dress the salad just before serving – don’t let it sit too long in its dressing before serving – and incorporate thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the pine nuts on top and serve!
- YUP – that’s it!!!